Chicken Salad Pockets
A nicely seasoned dressing gives plenty of herb flavor to these fresh-tasting sandwiches from Donna Poole, Marysville, Kansas. The colorful filling is a great way to use up leftover chicken.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups shredded red leaf lettuce or romaine
- 6 pita breads (6 inches), halved
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, cucumber, tomato and onions. In a small bowl, combine lemon juice, oil, garlic, sugar and basil. Pour over chicken mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Just before serving, add lettuce and toss to coat. Spoon about 1/2 cup into each pita half.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 406 calories, 14g fat (2g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 380mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 fat.
Originally published as Chicken Salad Pockets in Quick Cooking May/June 2001