- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 7 cups torn romaine
- 1 cup seedless red grapes
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) Vidalia onion or honey mustard salad dressing
- Pour butter into a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; stir in pecans and salt. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes, stirring twice. Set aside.
- Place flour in a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In an electric skillet, heat oil to 375°. Fry chicken for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown on all sides and juices run clear. Drain on paper towels.
- In a large salad bowl, toss the romaine, pecans, chicken, grapes, cranberries and cheese. Serve with dressing. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews forChicken Romaine Salad
"I saw a remake of this recipe in the healthy cooking magazine. They made it healthier by using cooking spray (rather than butter) and they also substituted half of the pecans with salted soy nuts. I made it today - and it was WONDERFUL!"