Total TimePrep: 45 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups butter, cubed
- 10 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 4 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 6 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 9 to 9-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter
- Dry bread crumbs
- In a Dutch oven, saute celery and onion in butter until vegetables are tender. Add the chicken, mushrooms, cream cheese, salt and pepper. Cool for 5 minutes; cover and refrigerate.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add eggs, sugar, salt and 1 cup flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Roll out on a floured surface to 1/4-in. thickness; cut into 4-in. circles. Reroll scraps and cut more circles. Roll circles to a 6-1/2-in. diameter. Place on greased baking sheets and let rise in warm place for 15 minutes.
- Place about 1/3 cup chicken mixture in the center of each circle. Fold up edges to center; pinch tightly to seal. Dip in butter; roll in crumbs.
- Place, uncovered on greased baking sheets; let rise for 20 minutes. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 342 calories, 17g fat (9g saturated fat), 106mg cholesterol, 376mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 17g protein.
Apr 5, 2011
I make this every month for my family and they LOVE it!! I have made it into a ring on busy days. I have added chopped broccoli to the chicken mixture as we like broccoli and I wanted a bit more color!! Absolutely a fabulous recipe a real keeper!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.