Chicken Roll-Ups with Cherry Sauce
Since I grew up on a cherry farm, I have many recipes featuring that delightful fruit. This one is a delicious way to use chicken.—Margaret Scott, Traverse City, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 8 slices Swiss or Brie cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- CHERRY SAUCE:
- 2 cups canned pitted tart red cherries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 drops red food coloring, optional
- Flatten chicken breasts to 1/4-in. thickness. Place a slice of cheese on each; roll up and secure with toothpicks. In a shallow bowl, beat egg, water and mustard. In another shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, thyme, salt and pepper. Place flour in a third shallow bowl. Lightly coat chicken with flour, then dip in egg mixture and roll in bread crumb mixture.
- In a large skillet, brown roll-ups in oil until golden brown, turning often. Transfer to an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- Meanwhile, drain cherries, reserving juice. Add enough water to juice to measure 1 cup. In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in cherry juice until smooth. add cherries. bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice, extract and food coloring if desired.
- Discard toothpicks. Serve with cherry sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 466 calories, 18g fat (7g saturated fat), 114mg cholesterol, 316mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 1g fiber), 32g protein.
Originally published as Chicken Roll-Ups with Cherry Sauce in Country April/May 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.