Chicken Rice Casserole with Toasted Almonds
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted, divided
- In a large saucepan, bring the rice, broth and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-18 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the soup, milk, onion, Worcestershire sauce and salt. Stir in the chicken, celery, 1/2 cup almonds and rice. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining almonds. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 334 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 660mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 fat.
Jan 27, 2012
This casserole wasn't bad, but I didn't think it was anything great. It was very easy which I appreciated. I left out the almonds and used minced onion on top of the casserole instead. I also halved the recipe for my small family. I used brown rice and cooked 1 cup rice with 1 cup chicken broth and 1 cup water. I really don't think I'll make this again.
Jul 7, 2010
This recipe was so easy and delicious! My husband and I both thoroughly enjoyed it. Since there are only two of us, I halved it and it worked out perfectly (still cooked for 45 minutes in the oven to make the top a little crispy). I also cooked my chicken in the crock pot all day and shredded it instead of cubing it. Wonderful and highly recommended!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.