Chicken Rice Balls
Here's a fun way to serve two delicious staple—chicken and rice. Topped with the creamy mushroom sauce, these are one of my husband's favorite foods.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 cup finely crushed cornflakes
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/4 cup milk
- In a medium saucepan, saute celery and half of the onions in butter until tender. Stir in flour. Add broth; cook and stir for 2 minutes (mixture will be thick). Stir in rice, chicken, cheese, egg, salt, chili powder and poultry seasoning until well mixed.
- Shape 1/4 cupfuls into balls. Roll each in cornflake crumbs and place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine soup, milk and remaining onions. Cook and stir over medium heat until smooth and heated through; serve over balls.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 303 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 837mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 17g protein.
Originally published as Chicken Rice Balls in Country Chicken Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.