- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- BISCUIT TOPPING:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms, carrots and onion; cook and stir until tender.
- Stir in flour until blended; gradually stir in broth and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in chicken, peas, pimientos and salt; heat through. Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish.
- For topping, in a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and cream of tartar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk; stir just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 8-10 times. Pat or roll dough to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place over chicken mixture. Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forChicken Potpie Casserole
"well said, LiLian.I agree with that rating."
"This is a very good recipe. Because we like extra veggies I added frozen corn, fresh green beans ( cooked ) and substituted the pimentos for diced red bell pepper, from the garden. It also freezes very well. Thank you for sharing the recipe."
"Great recipe. I made mine in a cast iron skillet and just baked it in that as well. I used carrots, celery and onion; forgot all about the peas and pimientos, but we didn't miss it a bit. I loved the biscuit recipe and will be using it for my biscuits from now on! Very good meal for a chilly fall evening."
"This was not bad but in no way does it give you 8 servings. The 2 of us had it 2 nights in a row. I swapped out the 2% milk for 3/4 cup half and half and 1/4 cup of white wine and added 1/4 tsp black pepper and 1 clove of minced garlic."
"This is another one of my favorite recipes of comfort food!!"
"My favorite part of this recipe is that it's all home made. Right down to the biscuits. TY for sharing it. I hate when someone calls it a recipe, and all you do is open boxes and cans. I can do that all by myself ! Lol And we don't eat the preservatives or added salts and sugars and dyes."
"This is delicious! I made it last week and again yesterday! I make my own chicken stock, so herbs and seasoning go in there. I also always salt and pepper my onions and other vegetables that I slightly caramelize. I'd say I quadruple the recipe, I knew we'd love it that much! Leftovers are phenomenal too. I'm not big on mushrooms and since I'm the cook, haha, I left them out. I added potatoes, and this last time, my husband requested celery and corn also. I'd say any veggie you like would be a good addition! Other than that, I followed the recipe. Not making the biscuits as written, at least once, would be a shame, because they're delicious! If you make sure they're getting brown on top, they won't be underdone on the bottom or in the middle. All they are, are a baking powder biscuit. Creamed soups have MSG in them, bisquick or canned biscuits have so many preservatives, so why not make your own? This recipe is truly fabulous! Thank you Liliane!"
"Was a rainy, windy, cool day today, so thought I would try this recipe. So glad I did!! Hubby and I both had sconds, it was so good. Will definitely be making this again. Neither of us like mushrooms, and I didn't have the pimientos, so I didn't use them. I only used 4 Tablespoons of butter to cook the veggies in and I added chopped celery. Otherwise followed the recipe."
"I made quite a few tweaks to this recipe. I used carrots, onion, celery and broccoli since I needed to use those up. I used homemade chicken bone broth and added some "Better than Bouillon" for more flavor instead of salt. I made a bit more sauce than it initially made. I also used a drop biscuit recipe with Parmesan cheese. Loved it."