Chicken Pita Salad
I make this refreshing dish to take to family get-togethers. Its great Greek flavors and crispy chewiness guarantee it will be gone in a blink.—Catherine Slussler, Tomball, Texas
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
Makes16 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 3 pita breads (6 inches)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 English cucumber, halved and sliced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small red onion, quartered and sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Cut each pita bread into eight triangles; split in half. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- For dressing, in a small bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, lemon juice, oregano, garlic, lemon zest, sugar, salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, garbanzo beans, cucumber, tomatoes and onion. Stir in pita triangles. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Just before serving, sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 141 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 294mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Chicken Pita Salad in Country Woman April/May 2009