I like to see how much I can "dress up" leftovers as an exciting new meal. Here's a flavorful combination that I often serve guests when I'm short on time.
Recommended: 26 Ways to Eat Asparagus This Spring
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- In a skillet over medium heat, saute chicken, rice and onion in butter for 10 minutes. Dissolve bouillon in water. Add salt, thyme and pepper; stir to mix. Pour into skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and almonds. Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender. Yield: 2-4 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Pilaf Saute in Country Chicken Cookbook 1995, p49