- 1-1/2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup each chopped onion, green pepper and sweet red pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute the chicken, onion, peppers, garlic and seasonings in oil until chicken is no longer pink.
- In a blender, combine tomatoes and tomato paste; cover and process until blended. Add to chicken mixture. Stir in broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Drain pasta; toss with chicken mixture. Spoon half of the mixture into a greased 2 qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the mozzarella and Romano cheeses. Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forChicken Penne Casserole
"Loved it, and the aroma in your kitchen will dazzle your senses. Followed to the recipe."
"So time consuming! I don't think the outcome was worth the effort. I forgot Romano cheese (which I didn't have anyway) so I sprinkled Parmesan on top which improved the taste. I'm sure the taste would be better had I remembered the Romano, but again lots of time required to make this."
"Awesome! My family nearly fought over who would get to take the leftovers to school and work with them, today! (Do yourself a favor ... double the recipe!) Absolutely one of the best pasta dishes I've had, EVER. Prep time takes a bit longer than noted, but worth every minute. Company and special occasion worthy, hands down!"
"Love the flavors of this dish. As one Vernonite to another, thank you for this recipe!"
"Husband loves it"
"Deconstructed Lasagna, I used cottage cheese as I didn't have any romano cheese."
"Yep, it's THAT good!!! :)"
"I love this recipe, it was so tasty and delicious."
"I made this recipe tonight and we thought it was delicious. I did read some of the reviews and made some changes. I used Italian style tomatoes without blending and I increased the basil and oregano to 2 teaspoons. It gave the dish plenty of flavor. I baked it for 30 minutes then removed the cover and finished cooking the last 10 minutes. It was perfect. We will be having this again. I highly recommend it.Volunteer Field Editor"