- 1-1/2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken, onion, peppers and seasonings; saute until chicken is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- In a blender, pulse tomatoes and tomato paste, covered, until blended. Add to chicken mixture. Stir in broth; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until slightly thickened, 10-15 minutes.
- Drain pasta; toss with chicken mixture. Spoon half of the mixture into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the cheeses. Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake 30 minutes. Uncover; bake until heated through, 15-20 minutes longer. Yield: 4 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Chicken Penne Casserole
"Deconstructed Lasagna, I used cottage cheese as I didn't have any romano cheese."
"Yep, it's THAT good!!! :)"
"I love this recipe, it was so tasty and delicious."
"I made this recipe tonight and we thought it was delicious. I did read some of the reviews and made some changes. I used Italian style tomatoes without blending and I increased the basil and oregano to 2 teaspoons. It gave the dish plenty of flavor. I baked it for 30 minutes then removed the cover and finished cooking the last 10 minutes. It was perfect. We will be having this again. I highly recommend it.Volunteer Field Editor"
"Perfect dinner-spiced perfect-my husband loved it and wants it again soon. 5 stars!"
"I made this last night, exactly as the recipe said (extra garlic just to use it up and no wine!). It was AMAZING! Reminded me of a lasagna with the cheesy goodness. I questioned only using 1 1/2 cups of dry penne pasta, but I'm glad I didn't use more. It filled an 8x8 pan to the top (put a sheet underneath to catch drips while baking) and easily serves 6. This is a keeper!"
"I would like the nutritional value, Please"
"Yum! Added some Italian seasoning. Liked the heat from the red pepper flakes!"
"I made this for the first time last week. As someone else mentioned, it was quite time consuming but some of the ingredients could be prepped in advance. It was okay in the end (had more flavor the next day eaten as leftovers after it sat in the fridge overnight). I found that the chunks of chicken became overcooked a bit when following the cooking instructions."
"Loved the flavor!! Will definitely make again and again."