- 1-1/2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken, onion, peppers and seasonings; saute until chicken is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- In a blender, pulse tomatoes and tomato paste, covered, until blended. Add to chicken mixture. Stir in broth; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until slightly thickened, 10-15 minutes.
- Drain pasta; toss with chicken mixture. Spoon half of the mixture into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the cheeses. Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake 30 minutes. Uncover; bake until heated through, 15-20 minutes longer. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forChicken Penne Casserole
"Loved it, and the aroma in your kitchen will dazzle your senses. Followed to the recipe."
"So time consuming! I don't think the outcome was worth the effort. I forgot Romano cheese (which I didn't have anyway) so I sprinkled Parmesan on top which improved the taste. I'm sure the taste would be better had I remembered the Romano, but again lots of time required to make this."
"Awesome! My family nearly fought over who would get to take the leftovers to school and work with them, today! (Do yourself a favor ... double the recipe!) Absolutely one of the best pasta dishes I've had, EVER. Prep time takes a bit longer than noted, but worth every minute. Company and special occasion worthy, hands down!"
"Love the flavors of this dish. As one Vernonite to another, thank you for this recipe!"
"Husband loves it"
"Deconstructed Lasagna, I used cottage cheese as I didn't have any romano cheese."
"Yep, it's THAT good!!! :)"
"I love this recipe, it was so tasty and delicious."
"I made this recipe tonight and we thought it was delicious. I did read some of the reviews and made some changes. I used Italian style tomatoes without blending and I increased the basil and oregano to 2 teaspoons. It gave the dish plenty of flavor. I baked it for 30 minutes then removed the cover and finished cooking the last 10 minutes. It was perfect. We will be having this again. I highly recommend it.Volunteer Field Editor"