Chicken Patties with Roasted Tomato Salsa
“Bold and zesty tomato salsa perks up these moist and tender chicken patties. Great for lunch or dinner, this recipe ranks high among my southwestern specialties.” —Mary E. Relyea, Canastota, New York
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 6 plum tomatoes
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1-1/2 cups fresh cilantro leaves, divided
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast, divided
- 1 small zucchini, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Core tomatoes and cut in half lengthwise. Place cut side up on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray; brush with 2 teaspoons oil and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Turn tomatoes cut side down. Bake at 425° for 30-40 minutes or until edges are well browned. Cool slightly. Remove and discard tomato peels.
- Place cilantro in a food processor; cover and process until coarsely chopped. Set aside 1/4 cup cilantro for chicken patties. Add the roasted tomatoes, adobo sauce and 1/4 teaspoon salt to the food processor; cover and process just until chunky. Place salsa in a small bowl; set aside.
- For chicken patties, in same food processor, combine 1-1/2 cups chicken and zucchini. Cover and process just until chicken is coarsely chopped. Add the bread crumbs, mayonnaise, pepper, reserved cilantro and remaining chicken and salt. Cover and process just until mixture is chunky.
- Shape into eight 3-in. patties. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook patties in remaining oil for 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Serve with salsa.
Nutrition Facts1 chicken patty with 1-1/2 tablespoons salsa: 134 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 373mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 12g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Chicken Cakes with Roasted Tomato Salsa in Country Woman June/July 2008