Chicken Pasta Salad with Oranges Recipe
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 4-1/2 teaspoons olive or canola oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into cubes
- 4 cups cooked rigatoni or large tube pasta
- 4 cups torn romaine lettuce
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 can (6 ounces) pitted ripe olives, drained
- 1. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the vinegar, soy sauce, 1-1/2 teaspoons oil, sugar and garlic; shake well. In a nonstick skillet, saute onion, peppers and mushrooms, in 1-1/2 teaspoons oil until tender. Remove and keep warm. In same skillet, saute chicken in remaining oil until juices run clear; drain.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine pasta, lettuce, oranges, olives, onion mixture and chicken. Pour dressing over lettuce mixture; toss to coat. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
2 cups: 332 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 464mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat.