Served warm, this satisfying salad combines pasta, chicken, lettuce, mandarin oranges and romaine and is tossed with a slightly tart dressing. From Coos Bay, Oregon, Diane Conrad comments, "My daughter-in-law gave me a basic dressing recipe, and I adapted it to suit our tastes."
Recommended: 20 Recipes to Make with Fresh Citrus
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 4-1/2 teaspoons olive or canola oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into cubes
- 4 cups cooked rigatoni or large tube pasta
- 4 cups torn romaine lettuce
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 can (6 ounces) pitted ripe olives, drained
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the vinegar, soy sauce, 1-1/2 teaspoons oil, sugar and garlic; shake well. In a nonstick skillet, saute onion, peppers and mushrooms, in 1-1/2 teaspoons oil until tender. Remove and keep warm. In same skillet, saute chicken in remaining oil until juices run clear; drain.
- In a large bowl, combine pasta, lettuce, oranges, olives, onion mixture and chicken. Pour dressing over lettuce mixture; toss to coat. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Pasta Salad in Light & Tasty December/January 2004, p62