- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound lean ground chicken
- 1 cup meatless spaghetti sauce, divided
- 2 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese, cut in half
- 4 slices Italian bread (3/4 inch thick)
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Add chicken; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into four 1/2-in.-thick oval patties.
- Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 4-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165°. Top burgers with 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce and cheese. Cover and grill 30-60 seconds longer or until cheese is melted.
Grill bread, uncovered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 30-60 seconds on each side or until toasted. Top with remaining spaghetti sauce. Serve burgers on toasted bread.
Freeze option: Place patties on a plastic wrap-lined baking sheet; wrap and freeze until firm. Remove from pan and transfer to a resealable plastic freezer bag; return to freezer. To use, grill frozen patties as directed, increasing time as necessary for a thermometer to read 165°. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forChicken Parmesan Burgers
"Delicious! Proclaimed a keeper by family."
"These were absolutely one of the best dishes I have ever made. Made some changes, in lieu of bread crumbs, I just finely crushed up some saltine crackers and added and used ground turkey meat. Also added a hint of salt and pepper with a generous addition of garlic. Let them sit in the frig for 2 days and the flavors were awesome. My whole frig was fragrant with the garlic and herbs, even being covered. Baked in the oven at 375 F until the 165 F in the middle and then moved forward with the marinara and mozz. These would be great prepped and then frozen as in the recipe. Can't wait to do it. Didn't place on the bread, just served with some beautiful grilled zucchini. Raves all aound for this dish. These would make great meatballs also because the flavor is extraordinary. I think the resting time in the frig really brought the flavors together."
"Wonderful. Heads up from my daughters to make again!"
"These were really good. I made the patties the night before so my husband could just throw them together after work."