Chicken Paillards with Cherry Sauce & Parsley Rice
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 3-1/4 cups chicken stock, divided
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked basmati rice
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion (about 1 small)
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 cup dried tart cherries
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons tawny port wine
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, bring 2-1/4 cups stock and rice to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, pound chicken with a meat mallet to 1/4-in. thickness; sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, cook chicken in oil over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, cook and stir onion in 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the cherries, vinegar, wine and remaining stock, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half and cherries are plump, about 6 minutes. Stir in mustard.
- Fluff rice; stir in parsley and remaining butter; serve with chicken and sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 chicken breast with 1 cup rice and 1/4 cup sauce: 643 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 792mg sodium, 88g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 2g fiber), 34g protein.
Jun 24, 2014
I have made this twice. The first time I used regular rice and the second time I used the basmati rice. Both times it was excellent. Somewhere in the recipe you need to remind the reader to rinse the basmati rice until the water runs clear.
May 1, 2013
A great confluence of tastes. The parsley plays well opposite the sweet/tartness of the topping. I admit, I did not have port, so used 3T of a red wine and 1T of brown sugar.
Jan 9, 2013
Absolutely outstanding! I made it according to the recipe except for the garlic and couldn't have asked for better flavor. My husband loved it.
Dec 10, 2012
Simple and good! I didn't have any onion so I sprinkled onion powder on the chicken while I was browning it. Skipped the port wine too. Don't really know what that would have done to alter the flavor but what I ended up with was quite good.
Jul 19, 2012
Best new chicken dish I have tried in ages. Love the cherry taste. I cooked this in the oven and skipped the part about flattening the chicken.