Chicken or Turkey Pie
This recipe came from our County Extension Agent's wife, who was a wonderful cook. Everyone always asks for the recipe when I make it because the ingredients are a little different than those in most chicken pies.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 small onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 4 cups cooked cubed chicken or turkey
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, saute the celery, carrots and onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour and salt until blended. Gradually add milk and broth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in mushroom soup and chicken. Spoon mixture into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; set aside.
- For crust, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles course crumbs. Add milk and mix to form soft dough.
- Roll out into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Sprinkle with cheese and roll up, jelly-roll style, starting from long side. Cut into 1/2-in. slices and place on chicken mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until crust is lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 480 calories, 25g fat (14g saturated fat), 123mg cholesterol, 1218mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 32g protein.
Originally published as Chicken or Turkey Pie in Country Extra November 1990
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.