- 1 stewing chicken (2 to 3 pounds)
- 2-1/2 quarts water
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked fine noodles
- In a large soup kettle, place chicken and all ingredients except noodles. Cover and bring to a boil; skim broth. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1-1/2 hours or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken from broth; allow to cool. Debone chicken and cut into chunks. Skim fat from broth; bring to a boil. Add noodles; cook until noodles are done. Return chicken to kettle; adjust seasonings to taste. Remove bay leaf before serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews forChicken Noodle Soup
"After reading the reviews, I was expecting to be totally impressed with this recipe. I was not. Its not bad, but I did expect more. Honestly, I was looking for something that comes close to Cracker Barrel's chicken noodle soup, which this does not. Its not a bad recipe but surely not a spectacular one. My hunt for the perfect chicken noodle soup recipe continues."
"Delicious! I've made many soups but this one is relatively easy and has such great flavor. Definitely a favorite."
"Delicious! Didn't put in salt, my favourite!"
"all I can say is good good good"
"This was a great recipe. I will definitely make it again!"
"This is absolutely wonderful! I did use a whole large onion, added some frozen peas, garlic and rosemary. Will make this time and again!"
"I love the homemade taste of this. I will keep this one in my recipe box."
"Great soup. Put a copy in my favorite recipes notebook."