Chicken ‘n’ Dumpling Soup
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 1-3/4 hours
Makes20 servings (5 quarts)
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 3 quarts water
- 1/4 cup chicken bouillon granules
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 6 cups uncooked wide noodles
- 4 cups sliced carrots
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 3/4 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- In a stockpot, combine the first six ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours. Remove chicken; allow to cool. Strain broth; discard bay leaf and peppercorns.
- Remove chicken from bones; discard bones. Cut meat into bite-size pieces. Return broth to pan; skim fat. Add the chicken, noodles, vegetables, rice and parsley; bring to a simmer.
- For dumplings, combine the flour, baking powder, thyme and salt in a bowl. Combine milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto simmering soup. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes (do not lift the cover).
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 198 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 650mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 7, 2009
I enjoyed this recipe, I did omit the rice, I aded more noodles and dumplings. The next time I make this I will not use thyme in the dumplings, I just don't prefer the taste of time, I may try sage or rosemary. It was a good and comforting soup!
Jan 9, 2008
boneless chic-cubed add chic broth season your favorite spices- lots of chop onion+garlic lots of sage simmer 30 min. add ANNE's Dumplings from frozen dept. in grocery store -Last simmer about 5 min till dumplings are done..dress it up with sliced boiled eggs,chop parsley and lot of black pepper ---(the sage is what makes this )
Jan 9, 2008
i have a shorter way