Chicken ‘n’ Corn Bread Bake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4-1/2 cups corn bread stuffing mix, divided
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) sour cream
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a large saucepan, combine broth, onion, celery and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5-6 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in 4 cups stuffing mix.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with chicken. In a small bowl, combine sour cream, soup and green onions. Spread over chicken. Sprinkle with remaining stuffing mix; dot with butter.
- Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 441 calories, 22g fat (11g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 1202mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 27g protein.
May 5, 2017
Pretty salty. I would alter the recipe to change the sodium content next time.
Jan 29, 2012
We didn't care for this casserole at all. I made it exactly as written. The bottom was just a clump of wet stuffing (probably too much broth) and it really lacked seasoning so the flavor was boring.
Oct 2, 2010
Easy and yummy. The stuffing defines the flavor so change it up and use other types of stuffing mix; you will get a totally different flavor. the sour cream makes the soup layer just that much creamier. also using Campbell's chicken & herb soup adds depth and interesting flavors.
Sep 24, 2009
I have made this twice now and we really enjoy it. The aroma while cooking is very nice, I can hardly wait until Thanksgiving to try it with some leftover turkey.Skygal
Aug 21, 2009
Stove Top Stuffing brand has a corn bread version
Aug 13, 2009
Thanks for the suggestion to use the slow cooker. I will definatly try this. Now... if I could find some corn bread stuffing mix.!!!
Aug 12, 2009
You can make this in a slow cooker very easily-mix all ingredients-cook on high in a greased slow cooker for 45 minutes, then turn to low and cook for 4 hours. Great on Sundays-it's ready when you get home from church!
Aug 11, 2009
We enjoyed this recipe a lot. I cut it back for 4 and it worked fine. To reduce sodium, I purchased the "Heart Healthy" condensed soup which is not only low in sodium but low in fat as well.
Aug 10, 2009
With the amount of Sodium that would be in the soup alone (surprising how much sodium is in soups) plus the broth (even low-sodium) and cornbread (cornbead by itself has salt added) stuffing, I believe it would be too salty for my taste.
Aug 10, 2009
My family loved this recipe. It will be one of our bi-wekly rotation. As far as the sodium concern, I boiled the chicken with the onions and I added garlic with the celery and I just this as my broth. It was fabulous as far as a southern liken.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.