Chicken ‘n’ Carrot Dumpling Stew
It's been many years since I clipped this recipe from a magazine. It's always welcome at a family get-together.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash dried thyme
- Dash pepper
- 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons finely grated carrot
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, combine the chicken, broth, onion, celery, salt, thyme and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until a thermometer reaches 170°. Combine flour and water until smooth. Stir into broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened.
- For dumplings, in a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the milk, carrot and parsley.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto simmering broth. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while simmering).
Originally published as Chicken 'n' Carrot Dumpling Stew in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.