- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast half
- Dash salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 ounce Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese (cut into a 2-1/2- x 1/2-inch stick)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons seasoned or plain dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- Pound chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Season the inside with salt, pepper, parsley and tarragon. Place cheese in the center and fold chicken around it. Roll in flour; dip into egg, then roll in crumbs. Place chicken, seam side down,on a plate; refrigerate for 30 minutes. In a skillet, saute chicken in butter and oil until golden. Place in a small shallow baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 15 minutes or until juices run clear. Yield: 1 serving.
Reviews forChicken Monterey
"I've been making this for years. It's delicious. Be sure to pound meat to proper thickness or you'll need to adjust cooking times and I don't think it tastes as good thicker. We love it at our home!"