Chicken Mole Ole
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 2 dried ancho chilies
- 1-1/2 pounds tomatillos, husks removed, halved
- 2 medium onions, sliced, divided
- 1 serrano pepper, halved and seeded
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 pounds bone-in chicken breast halves, skin removed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 whole cloves
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar-Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Place chilies in a small bowl. Cover with boiling water; let stand for 20 minutes. Drain. Remove stems and seeds. Coarsely chop; set aside. Place the tomatillos, 1 onion, serrano pepper and garlic in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 10-15 minutes or until tender, stirring once.
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker. In the same skillet, saute remaining onion until tender. Add 1 teaspoon cumin, chili powder, pepper, cinnamon, cloves and hydrated chilies; cook 1 minute longer. Discard cloves.
- Place almonds in a food processor; cover and process until ground. Add spiced onion mixture and chocolate; cover and process until blended. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Place the tomatillo mixture, lime juice, salt and remaining cumin in food processor; cover and process until chopped. Stir into almond mixture. Pour over chicken. Cook, covered, on low until chicken is tender, 4-5 hours. Sprinkle each serving with cheese and cilantro.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 494 calories, 25g fat (10g saturated fat), 126mg cholesterol, 671mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 7g fiber), 49g protein.
Feb 8, 2012
This was a lot of work. My family just said it was okay. My son thought you could get almost the same results with a can of chili.
Aug 13, 2010
The sweet spices, peppers, chocolate and nuts make a complex sauce bursting with flavor. I can't wait to have some more!I used two breasts and other pieces of chicken as well, and it worked fine.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.