My son Logan, 11, and I created this basic but very good dish. It was the first meal he made all by himself (with supervision, of course). Best of all, it was a real hit with the three friends he invited for dinner.” —Joanie Fuson, Indianapolis, Indiana
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat Italian salad dressing
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 9 ounces uncooked whole wheat spaghetti
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Flatten chicken to 1/2-in. thickness; place in a large resealable plastic bag. Add salad dressing. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, parsley, oregano, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Drain and discard marinade. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-6 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. When chicken is cool enough to handle, cut into 1/4-in. strips.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions. Stir Parmesan cheese into sauce. Drain spaghetti. Serve with chicken and sauce; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Marinara with Pasta in Healthy Cooking June/July 2010, p55
Reviews forChicken Marinara with Pasta
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 26, 2010
"Simple, different and very tasty."