- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 16 uncooked manicotti shells
- 2 jars (26 ounces each) spaghetti sauce, divided
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage, cooked and drained
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2/3 cup water
- Preheat oven to 375°. Rub garlic powder over chicken; cut into 1-in. strips. Stuff chicken into manicotti shells. Spread 1 cup spaghetti sauce in each of two greased 13x9-in. baking dishes.
- Place eight stuffed manicotti shells in each dish. Sprinkle with sausage and mushrooms. Pour remaining spaghetti sauce over the top. Sprinkle with cheese.
Drizzle water around the edge of each dish. Cover and bake 45-55 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and pasta is tender.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked casseroles for up to 1 month. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 375°. Bake casseroles as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°. Yield: 2 casseroles (4 servings each).
Reviews forChicken Manicotti
"A little time consuming stuffing the manicotti, but not bad considering you get 2 full trays. I put about 4 1" chuncks of chicken per manicotti."
"It was okay. There are other pasta dishes I like better, and my husband wasn't really a fan at all."
"Excellent casserole and wonderful to have one put away in the freezer for another day."
"I loved the recipe. I have made it a few times now. It also tastes good out of the freezer."
"My family loves it! I love that it makes two casseroles. I usually make one with the sausage and muchrooms and the second without the mushrooms. I have never frozen it because whatever is left over always gets eaten for lunch the next day, and there is usually a battle over who will get it! It is a great dish to serve for company, too."
"I used some hickory smoked chicken to make this recipe."
"I have made this recipe several times and my family loves it!! The chicken instead of the ricotta cheese mixture found in traditional manicotti is a nice change. I omit the mushrooms as no one here likes them. I also have never cooked it from frozen, since we have 3 teenagers, I cook both at once and it is gone in one sitting! I make lots of TOH recipes and they have never let me down."
"This meal was very easy to prepare very delicious the whole family loved."