- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 14 manicotti shells, cooked and drained
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 cups milk
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in the sour cream, parsley, salt and pepper. Stir in chicken. In a small skillet, cook onion and mushrooms in butter until tender; add to chicken mixture. Stuff into manicotti shells.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour and salt until smooth. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in 2-1/2 cups Monterey Jack cheese and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese just until melted.
- Spread about 1/2 cup cheese sauce in each of two greased 11-in. x 7-in. dishes. Top with stuffed shells and remaining sauce.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheeses. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews forChicken Manicotti with White Sauce
"First time it was made it was tasteless second time I added herdez green Verde sauce and it tasted wonderful making it for dinner tonight"
"I made this tonight. As I was ready to prepare, I realized I didn't have the manicotti noodles as I had thought! I did have lasagna noodles though. I decided to make it as a lasagna instead. I didn't add the cheese to the sauce: I layered noodles, filling, sauce, cheese. I added a bit of garlic powder to the sauce. My fianc? raved about this!"
"I made this recipe about 2 years ago for a friend who was visiting. She was visiting me over the holidays and when I asked what she would like for dinner. To my surprise she requested this meal from 2 years ago!!! Every one love it. I also add onions and green peppers to the dish. They add a nice flavor. I recommend it for a large group. It easy and you can make it ahead of time."
"I have made this several times. The prep time is MUCH longer than indicated, but the taste is great! Sometimes I use fresh mushrooms instead of canned."
"I hate to say I was really excited about making this dish. I spent two and a half hours making it, to have my husband say it was tasteless! Even my kids were only polite because they saw how long I spent on it. I had even add extra seasoning to the meat. So while it did not taste awful it was not worth all the work."
"This is a huge favorite with my family. Prep time is a little longer."
"I love this recipe. It's great to freeze as well."