Chicken Mac & Cheese
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makes12 servings (1 cup each)
- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Cook macaroni according to package directions, adding broccoli during the last 5 minutes of cooking. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken, onion, salt and pepper; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, melt butter. Stir in flour, paprika and cayenne until smooth; gradually whisk in milk and broth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese and mustard until cheese is melted.
- Add macaroni mixture and chicken to sauce. Heat through, stirring to combine.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 374 calories, 17g fat (9g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 467mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein.
Feb 1, 2016
This was easy to make, though not as cheesy as I had hoped. I even added an extra cup of cheese! The white sauce was a bit gritty, but that may have been my fault. I probably won't make this again.
Jan 4, 2016
This was easy to make, but the flavor was rather bland. Maybe some additional paprika and red pepper would help. I will likely not make this again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.