Chicken Livers Royale
I'm a retired home economics teacher, but my son does most of the cooking around here. As a matter of fact, he created this delightful dish, which is truly "fit for a king"!
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup seasoned croutons
- 1 pound chicken livers, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 16 pitted ripe olives, halved, optional
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce
- 4 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Coat four individual 10-oz. custard cups or ramekins with cooking spray. Divide croutons among dishes; set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute chicken livers in 1 tablespoon oil for about 8 minutes or until outsides are lightly browned and centers are still slightly pink. Remove with a slotted spoon and place over croutons. Discard drippings from the skillet.
- In same skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion, garlic and olives if desired in remaining oil until vegetables are tender. Remove with a slotted spoon and place over chicken livers. Sprinkle with bacon; top with spaghetti sauce. Break an egg into each dish, then sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 25-30 minutes or until whites are completely set and the yolks begin to thicken. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 454 calories, 27g fat (9g saturated fat), 739mg cholesterol, 579mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 36g protein.
Originally published as Chicken Livers Royale in Country Chicken Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.