Chicken Liver Pate
My family loves this spread with cracker. But I've also put it to use as a sandwich filling with lettuce and tomato. —Roberta Wolff, Waltham, Massachusetts
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 pound chicken livers
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup rendered chicken fat or canola oil
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 2 hard-boiled large eggs, quartered
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sherry or chicken broth
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Melba rounds or assorted crackers
- In a large skillet, saute chicken livers and onion in chicken fat for 10 minutes or until livers are no longer pink. Transfer to a food processor; cover and process until chicken livers are coarsely chopped.
- Add the mushrooms, eggs, 1 tablespoon sherry, salt and pepper. Cover and process until smooth, adding more sherry or broth if needed for pate to reach desired consistency.
- Transfer to a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Serve with melba rounds or assorted crackers.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 119 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 206mg cholesterol, 189mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 8g protein.
Mar 5, 2010
Thank you Roberta! This is a great recipe. While you call it pate, to me it is chopped liver. I love that you use schmaltz (chicken fat) in yours. I will make this weekly! Thank you again.