Chicken Liver Pate with Walnuts and Figs
Adults will enjoy the sophisticated flavors in this rich pate. The appetizer is fabulous to serve at a wine tasting party.—Wanda Griess, Eagle, Nebraska
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + standing
- 1 cup dry red wine or chicken broth
- 3/4 cup dried figs
- 1 pound chicken livers
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted, divided
- 2 tablespoons Cognac or brandy
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Thinly sliced green onions
- Red leaf lettuce
- 1 French bread baguette (10-1/2 ounces), sliced and toasted
- In a small saucepan, bring wine to a simmer. Remove from the heat; add the figs. Let stand for several hours or overnight; drain. Cut figs into quarters. Transfer to a small bowl; cover and refrigerate.
- Line a 3-cup bowl with plastic wrap and spray with cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan, combine the chicken livers, broth and onion. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, stirring occasionally. Drain.
- Transfer to a food processor; cover and process until coarsely chopped. Add the butter, 1/4 cups walnuts, Cognac and salt. Cover and process until smooth. Transfer to prepared bowl. Cover and refrigerate until firm, at least 3 hours.
- To serve, unmold pate onto a serving platter. Press remaining walnuts onto sides of pate. Arrange green onions and a few figs on top. Place lettuce around pate. Sprinkle remaining figs over lettuce. Serve with baguette slices. Refrigerate leftovers.
To Make Ahead: Pate can be made a day in advance; cover and refrigerate.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 285 calories, 16g fat (7g saturated fat), 114mg cholesterol, 289mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Apr 1, 2014
An absolute winner!! Everyone loved it and was so easy to make.
Aug 5, 2013
I've made this for 2 very different groups of guests and it "sold out" both times. Guests actually took some home for later. It's pretty and it tastes as good as it looks.