This hearty chicken dish is sure to please. A friend gave me the recipe years ago, and I've since added a couple ingredients of my own.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (3 to 4 pounds each), cut up and skin removed
- 1 pound Italian sausage links, sliced
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a large roasting pan, combine the first 13 ingredients. Place the chicken and sausage over tomato mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/4 hours or until chicken is tender and juices run clear, basting occasionally with sauce. Serve with spaghetti.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 296 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 995mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 24g protein.
Originally published as Chicken Italian in Country April/May 2003