"I learned to prepare this dish from a local chef before I was married, but I've varied it slightly," Jennifer Class of Kirkland, Washington shares. "Served with a green salad and rice or potatoes, it makes a simple but elegant meal for two."
Recommended: Top 10 Grilled Chicken Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup white wine or additional chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet yellow pepper
- 1/4 cup diced tomato
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper; add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in butter on both sides until no longer pink. Stir in the broth, wine or additional broth and yellow pepper. Bring to a boil; cook for 5 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in the tomato and cilantro. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Chicken in Sweet Pepper Sauce in Cooking for 2 Summer 2005, p 45