Chicken in Cream Sauce
The down-home flavor of Chicken in Cream Sauce makes it an irresistible main dish, relates Clara Pennock of Nashville, Michigan.
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 30 bone-in chicken breast halves
- 10 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 cups water, divided
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 8 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 cups half-and-half cream
- Hot cooked rice
- In a several large skillets, brown chicken in oil. Meanwhile, in a large Dutch oven, combine 5 cups water, chicken broth, onion, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper; bring to a boil over medium heat. Combine flour and remaining water until smooth. Stir into broth mixture; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in cream.
- Arrange chicken breast in five greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pans; pour about 3-1/2 cups sauce over the chicken in each pan. Cover and bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until the chicken juices run clear. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 307 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 114mg cholesterol, 619mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 36g protein.
Originally published as Chicken in Cream Sauce in Taste of Home December/January 1997