Chicken Ham ‘N’ Mushroom Pie
Parmesan cheese gives the crust of this pie an extra-special flavor. A co-worker back Ohio shared the recipe. Friends and family talk about how good it is every time I make it.—Darlene Tyktor, Glen Allen, Virginia
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Bake: 35 min.
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 3 cups water
- 1 medium carrot, cut into chunks
- 1 celery rib, cut into chunks
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 5 to 6 teaspoons cold water
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the first six ingredients; bring to a boil. reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-55 minutes or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken. When cool enough to handle, remove meat and skin from the bones; discard skin and bones. Cut the meat into chunks; set aside. Strain broth and set aside.
- In a skillet, saute the mushrooms and ham in butter until mushrooms are tender. Sprinkle with flour, pepper and nutmeg; stir until blended. gradually stir in 1-3/4 cups reserved broth (refrigerate any remaining broth for another use). Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in peas and reserved chicken. Cool.
- Meanwhile, combine the flours, Parmesan cheese and salt in a bowl. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in egg yolk and lemon juice. Gradually add cold water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. On a floured surface, roll out dough into a 9-in. square.
- Transfer chicken mixture to an ungreased 9-in. square baking dish. Place pastry over filling; trim and flute edges. Cut slits in top. Beat egg white and water; brush over pastry. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly and the crust is golden brown. Let stand for 10-15 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 345 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 123mg cholesterol, 1080mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 24g protein.
Originally published as Chicken Ham 'N' Mushroom Pie in Casserole Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.