- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon minced garlic, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled cucumber
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 2 whole pita breads
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the lemon juice, oil, 1/2 teaspoon garlic, mustard and oregano; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 1 hour. In a small bowl, combine the cucumber, yogurt, dill and remaining garlic; cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Drain and discard marinade. In a large nonstick skillet, cook and stir the chicken for 7-8 minutes or until no longer pink. Spoon onto pita breads. Top with yogurt mixture and onion; fold in half Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews forChicken Gyros
"I made this for dinner tonight, with a few minor changes to use ingredients I had on hand. It's an excellent recipe, tasty and simple to make. I used whole-milk Greek yogurt which is thick and not very sour, and used small flour tortillas instead of pita breads."
"My kids loved this recipe! I added a little sugar to the sauce."
"Made this tonight and it was a hit. It's a keeper.the only change was a little sour cream in the sauce to mellow it out."
"my family and I really love this recipe. It is so quick and easy. My picky kids like to eat the chicken plain. I use naan instead of pita, we just like it better. The garlic in the sauce makes it yummy, and be sure to taste to make sure it has enough salt. Oh, and I also prefer using full-fat yogurt for the sauce. The fat free greek yogurt is just tasteless."
"Thought the chicken and the sauce were bland, will not make again"
"I used fresh dill and I also added a teaspoon of red wine vinegar for the tetziki sauce. And instead of the basic tomatoes and lettuce Imake a kalamata olive and pepperoncini and feta mix! I worked at a Greek restaurant and they used it in their gyros it's the best!!!!!"
"The sauce is what makes gyros great, and this one was bland. After tasting, I tried adding salt and a dash of cumin and it helped but it still wasn't amazing, only ok."
"Excellent! Even my husband, who isn't particulary fond of gyros, really enjoyed it. My 18 year old said they tasted better than our favorite greek restaurant ones. I was pleasantly surprised. Great flavor, not too intense and fresh. I did add a bit of mayo to the sauce, and used italian seasoning instead of just the oregano. This will definitely be made again in the near future. Tip: Pound down the chicken as flat as possible before marinating."
"I doubled this recipe for my family. I added a little cumin to the cucumber sauce on a tip from a friend, and added the onion while cooking the chicken (my family's not too keen on raw onion!). After spooning the cooked chicken into the pitas, I added a little shredded lettuce & fresh tomato - drizzled with the sauce and YUM! It was a hit and will definitely make again in the future."