Chicken-Fried Steak with Gravy
"We raise cattle, so beef is a mainstay at our house," reports Carol Dale of Greenville, Texas. "I adapted this traditional dish to leave a lot of the fat behind," she explains. "This lighter version is now a family favorite."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound beef round steak, cut into serving-size pieces
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a shallow bowl, combine flour and pepper. Add beef; turn to coat. Remove meat and pound with a mallet to tenderize. Pour milk into another shallow bowl. Heat oil in a skillet. Dip meat in milk, then coat again in flour mixture; add to skillet. Cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes on each side or until meat is no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- For gravy, add water to skillet; stir to loosen browned bits from pan. In a small bowl, combine the flour, milk and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with steak.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 325 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 65mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Originally published as Chicken-Fried Steak in Southern Favorites
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.