Chicken-Fried Steak with Gravy
"We raise cattle, so beef is a mainstay at our house," reports Carol Dale of Greenville, Texas. "I adapted this traditional dish to leave a lot of the fat behind," she explains. "This lighter version is now a family favorite."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound beef round steak, cut into serving-size pieces
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a shallow bowl, combine flour and pepper. Add beef; turn to coat. Remove meat and pound with a mallet to tenderize. Pour milk into another shallow bowl. Heat oil in a skillet. Dip meat in milk, then coat again in flour mixture; add to skillet. Cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes on each side or until meat is no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- For gravy, add water to skillet; stir to loosen browned bits from pan. In a small bowl, combine the flour, milk and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with steak.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 325 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 65mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Originally published as Chicken-Fried Steak in Southern Favorites
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips