Chicken Flowerpot Pie Recipe
I host a "welcome spring" luncheon for friends every year. I try to do something different and creative each time.—Mary Anne McWhirter, Pearland, Texas
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cut into thin slices
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1/3 cup ice water
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 2 quarts water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen cut green beans
- 1-1/2 cups thinly sliced carrots
- 1 cup diced peeled potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- OTHER MATERIALS NEEDED:
- 6 new clay flowerpots (4-inch diameter)
- Canola oil
- Aluminum foil
- Decorative seed packets glued onto wooden craft sticks
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in butter and shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball; flatten into a circle. Chill for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- 2. For filling, place the chicken, water, bay leaf and garlic in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 30-40 minutes or until chicken is tender. Remove and debone chicken; set aside. Skim fat. Add the beans, carrots, potatoes and basil to the broth. Cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in the mushrooms, peas and tomatoes; cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes. Drain vegetables and reserve broth; set side
- 3. In another large kettle, melt butter. Whisk in flour until smooth. Add 1-1/2 cups of reserved stock. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolks and cream. Whisk into the sauce; remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper. Gently stir in reserved chicken and vegetables.
- 4. To assemble flowerpots, brush outsides of pots with oil. Line each with a 15x12-in. piece of aluminum foil; pressing the foil gently down into the pot and being careful not to tear it. Fill each pot with about 1-1/2 cups of filling, leaving about 1/2-in. headspace; set aside.
- 5. Roll pastry to 1/8-in. thickness; cut six 6-in. circles. Place one circle on each flowerpot, turn down the edges and flute. Cut three vents in the center of each pastry. In a small bowl, lightly beat glaze ingredients; brush over each crust. Place flowerpots on a baking sheets. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly. Just before serving, garnish each with a seed packet on a stick. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 1000 calories, 68g fat (34g saturated fat), 330mg cholesterol, 988mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 6g fiber), 40g protein.
Reviews for Chicken Flowerpot Pie
Reviewed Oct. 22, 2012
"Most ridiculous thing I've ever seem!"
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC