- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, halved lengthwise
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 6 slices pepper jack cheese
- In a small bowl, mix the first six ingredients. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken, pepper and onion; cook and stir 10-12 minutes or until no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Stir in water and seasoning mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 8-10 minutes or until thickened.
Spread mayonnaise over cut sides of bread. Layer with cheese and chicken mixture. Replace tops. Cut crosswise into six pieces.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forChicken Fajita Submarine Sandwiches
"These were good. Next time I may adjust the seasoning on the chicken, maybe add a tad more moisture."