- 15 chicken wings
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large potato, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 large tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 quarts water
- 1 small head (about 5 to 6 ounce) escarole
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- In a stockpot, combine the first nine ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until chicken and vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile for meatballs, combine the first six ingredients in a large bowl. Crumble beef into mixture and mix well. Shape into marble-sized balls.
- Remove chicken meat from bones and cut into bite-size pieces. Discard bones. Return chicken to the pot. Add meatballs and escarole; cook until meatballs are no longer pink, about 10 minutes longer. Yield: 22-24 servings (6 quarts).
Reviews forChicken Escarole Soup with Meatballs
"This is alot like the Italian Wedding soup, but I use spinach instead of escarole. I have even mixed both greens."