Chicken Egg Drop Soup
Who wants takeout when it tastes better homemade? This quick and easy soup is ideal for chilly days. You'll love the addition of tender chicken.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 slice peeled fresh gingerroot (1/4 inch thick)
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup cubed cooked chicken
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon sliced green onion
- In a small saucepan, combine the broth, ginger and garlic; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Remove and discard ginger and garlic.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken; heat through. Reduce heat. Drizzle beaten egg into hot broth, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in onion.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 178 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 243mg cholesterol, 956mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 21g protein.
Originally published as Hearty Egg Drop Soup in Cooking for 2 Winter 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.