This is so easy and filling...you can fix it anytime. Sometimes, I'll prepare the chicken the day before. Then, when we get home, I'll reheat it, mix up my dumplings, plop them on top and have supper ready in 20 minutes.
Recommended: 27 Recipes for One-Pot Meals
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (2-1/2 to 3 pounds), cut up
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 celery ribs, sliced
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Place chicken and water in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook until chicken is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from kettle; bone and cube. Return chicken to kettle along with onion, celery, carrots, celery seed, 1 teaspoon sage and pepper. Cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- For dumplings, combine biscuit mix, milk, parsley and remaining sage to form a stiff batter. Drop by tablespoonfuls into the simmering chicken mixture. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Chicken and Dumplings in Taste of Home's Down-Home Diabetic Cookbook Annual 1995, p153
Reviews forChicken Dumplings Meal
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 16, 2013
"Where are the diabetic exchanges for this recipe? It says it is a Diabetic exchange recipe........"