Chicken Croquettes Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 cups dry bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add the flour, mustard, salt and pepper; stir until smooth. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened; remove from the heat.
- 2. Add the chicken, green pepper, parsley, onion, lemon juice, paprika and cayenne. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- 3. Shape into six 4-in. x 1-in. logs. Place bread crumbs in a shallow dish. In another dish, beat egg and water. Roll logs in bread crumbs, then in egg mixture, then again in crumbs.
- 4. Heat oil in an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer to 350°. Drop logs a few at a time, into hot oil. Fry for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 croquettes.
Editor's Note: This recipe may easily be doubled.
Reviews for Chicken Croquettes
"I love to get chicken croquettes at local restaurants, and I was curious if I could make them myself. These were very good. I didn't like having my house smell like a fryer, but that's to be expected. :)"
"I fry foods in deep-fat only once in a blue moon...my husband is the fry cook. But I do get a yen for these chicken croquettes sometimes, and when I do I never hear any complaints from my husband or family. This is a delicious recipe that I follow exactly."