Chicken Creole for Four
Leeanne Grether of Woodbury, Minnesota has been making this easy skillet dish for years. She writes, “Every time I make this dish, someone always asks for the recipe!”
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano, thyme and marjoram
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute chicken in 2 teaspoons oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute the onion, green pepper and celery in remaining oil until tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes, broth, tomato paste and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8 minutes. Return chicken to the pan; heat through. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 334 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 368mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 5g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Chicken Creole in Light & Tasty December/January 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.