Chicken Cream Pie
- 3 to 4 pounds bone-in chicken breast halves
- 1-1/2 quarts water
- 1 small onion, peeled
- 1 celery rib
- 1 large carrot
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a stockpot, bring the chicken, water, onion, celery, carrot and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- 2. Remove chicken and vegetables from broth. Set aside until cool enough to handle. Meanwhile, line a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge of plate. Set aside.
- 3. Remove chicken from bones; discard skin and bones and cut chicken into cubes. Set aside. Chop the onion, celery and carrot. Strain broth and skim fat; set broth aside.
- 4. In a small bowl, combine the flour, onion salt, celery salt, pepper and remaining salt. Add 1/2 cup broth; whisk until smooth. In a large saucepan, bring 3 cups of broth to a boil; whisk in the flour mixture. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; add chicken and vegetables. Pour into crust.
- 5. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top.
- 6. Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and filling is bubbly. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.
Mar 9, 2018
So good!! I make this recipe all the time
Jan 23, 2013
I liked this and would make again, but probably add some more veggies (corn, peas, etc.) and less salt. It was pretty runny once cut so I will probably let the sauce thicken some more on the stove before mixing all together.
Nov 6, 2007
I have made this recipe for years now. It is worth all of the time it takes to make. This recipe will stay with our family forever.
Jun 10, 2010
This was a very good recipe. I have made it several times and it flies out of the dish every time!
May 19, 2010
Sooo worth the time! Yummy!