Chicken-Cranberry Hot Dish
In my family, we never eat chicken without cranberry sauce! This chicken is fall-off-the-bone tender; the sauce is divine with mashed potatoes. —Lorraine Caland, Shuniah, Ontario
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 4 hours
Makes4 servings (2 cups sauce)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (4 pounds), cut up
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon A.1. steak sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown chicken on both sides in batches; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker.
- Add onion and celery to skillet; saute over medium-high heat until tender, 3-4 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients. Pour over chicken.
- Cook, covered, on low until chicken is tender, 4-5 hours. Skim fat from cooking juices; serve with chicken.
Originally published as CHICKEN CRANBERRY HOT DISH in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.