Chicken Corn Bread Dressing Recipe
Even though Mom passed away years ago, her wonderful corn bread dressing lives on each year at Christmas dinner. It just wouldn't be the same holiday without it!
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 2-1/2 quarts water
- 2 to 3 celery ribs with leaves
- 1 large onion, cut into chunks
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 cups crumbled corn bread
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1. Place chicken in a soup kettle or Dutch oven. Add the water, celery and onion; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken from broth. Strain broth, discarding vegetables; set broth aside. When cool enough to handle, remove chicken from bones; dice and place in a large bowl.
- 2. In a skillet, saute celery and onions in butter until tender; stir in salt, sage, pepper and cayenne. Add to chicken. Stir in the corn bread, green onions, pecans, parsley and eggs. Add 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 cups of reserved broth, stirring gently to mix. (Refrigerate remaining broth for another use.)
- 3. Transfer to greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 325° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 12 servings.
1/2 cup: 383 calories, 22g fat (7g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 663mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein.
Reviews for Chicken Corn Bread Dressing
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC