Chicken Corden Bleu with Mushroom Sauce and Rice Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 thin slices deli ham
- 2 slices Swiss cheese, halved
- 2/3 cup condensed cream of chicken and mushroom soup, undiluted
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Minced fresh parsley
- 1. Flatten chicken to 1/2-in. thickness; set aside. In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, salt and pepper. In another shallow bowl, whisk egg and water. In a third bowl, combine bread crumbs and almonds. Coat chicken with flour mixture, then dip in egg mixture and coat with bread crumb mixture.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook chicken in oil over medium heat for 5-6 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°. Top with ham and cheese; cover and cook 1-2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the soup, sour cream, milk, pepper and salt. Cook and stir over medium heat until heated through. Serve with chicken; sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving: 491 calories, 29g fat (8g saturated fat), 162mg cholesterol, 790mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 41g protein.
Reviews for Chicken Corden Bleu with Mushroom Sauce and Rice
"This is a great recipe! Like one of the other reviewers, I dredged my chicken breasts in mayo and covered with breadcrumbs. I baked mine in the oven, but kept the rest of the recipe the same. My husband said, "Incredible!" Will definitely make again! Thanks for a recipe that's easy enough for a weeknight, but also perfect for company!"
"Very very good, especially served over a rice pilaf."
"One of my favorite recipe's Fairly easy to make, tastes great. Family was impressed"
"This was really good and easy to prepare."
"This was a very good and simple recipe. I didn't use the almonds or parsley. Awesome!!"
"This was absolutely delicious!! The only thing I omitted was the almonds and I used left over spiral ham. Definitely a keeper!!"
"It looks like Taste of Home changed the name of this recipe. In the original magazine it is called "Stacked chicken Cordon Blue" with no mention of rice. Just wanted those of you to know who were wondering about the rice...."
"This was delicious and such an easy way to prepare and enjoy chicken Cordon Bleu. Couple of things for reviewer questions and concerns. The serving size is 4. The recipe calls for 4 chicken breasts, 4 slices of ham & 2 slices of cheese, halved (making 4 slices). King Arthur flour can be purchased on their website or can sometimes be found in major grocery stores. It is just a name brand such as Pillsbury's or Gold Medal, which can be substituted with no problems as all 3 is an All-Purpose Flour. With regard to the soup, it is not a can of each (totaling 2 cans of soup) it is one can mixed with both that can be found in most major grocery stores. Usually Campbell's brand. If one can of each is being used this might explain why some are yielding too much sauce. If you can't find the combo mix of both in one can then I think I would go with the Cream of chicken. Typically mushrooms are not in chicken Cordon Bleu but by all means add some if your taste favors them. The rice part of title is unknown to me. I'm guessing submitter meant to add serve over rice of your choice."
"Question Only: Heading states 8 servings, while directions segment says 4 servings. Please advise which is closer to correct."