Chicken Corden Bleu with Mushroom Sauce and Rice
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 thin slices deli ham
- 2 slices Swiss cheese, halved
- 2/3 cup condensed cream of chicken and mushroom soup, undiluted
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Minced fresh parsley
- Flatten chicken to 1/2-in. thickness; set aside. In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, salt and pepper. In another shallow bowl, whisk egg and water. In a third bowl, combine bread crumbs and almonds. Coat chicken with flour mixture, then dip in egg mixture and coat with bread crumb mixture.
- In a large skillet, cook chicken in oil over medium heat for 5-6 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°. Top with ham and cheese; cover and cook 1-2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the soup, sour cream, milk, pepper and salt. Cook and stir over medium heat until heated through. Serve with chicken; sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 491 calories, 29g fat (8g saturated fat), 162mg cholesterol, 790mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 41g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 11, 2016
This is a great recipe! Like one of the other reviewers, I dredged my chicken breasts in mayo and covered with breadcrumbs. I baked mine in the oven, but kept the rest of the recipe the same. My husband said, "Incredible!" Will definitely make again! Thanks for a recipe that's easy enough for a weeknight, but also perfect for company!
Feb 13, 2016
Very very good, especially served over a rice pilaf.
Jun 14, 2015
One of my favorite recipe's Fairly easy to make, tastes great. Family was impressed
Dec 22, 2014
This was really good and easy to prepare.
Jul 7, 2014
This was a very good and simple recipe. I didn't use the almonds or parsley. Awesome!!
May 25, 2014
This was absolutely delicious!! The only thing I omitted was the almonds and I used left over spiral ham. Definitely a keeper!!
Apr 12, 2014
Used a great shortcut for breading chicken or fish. Instead of the egg, milk, etc. simply coat chicken/fish with a light coating of mayonnaise and then roll in or press on the desired crumb mixture. Love this recipe, so does my hubby. I just cut ingredients in half, perfect for the 2 of us.
Apr 7, 2014
It looks like Taste of Home changed the name of this recipe. In the original magazine it is called "Stacked Chicken Cordon Blue" with no mention of rice. Just wanted those of you to know who were wondering about the rice....
Apr 6, 2014
This was delicious and such an easy way to prepare and enjoy Chicken Cordon Bleu. Couple of things for reviewer questions and concerns. The serving size is 4. The recipe calls for 4 chicken breasts, 4 slices of ham & 2 slices of cheese, halved (making 4 slices). King Arthur flour can be purchased on their website or can sometimes be found in major grocery stores. It is just a name brand such as Pillsbury's or Gold Medal, which can be substituted with no problems as all 3 is an All-Purpose Flour. With regard to the soup, it is not a can of each (totaling 2 cans of soup) it is one can mixed with both that can be found in most major grocery stores. Usually Campbell's brand. If one can of each is being used this might explain why some are yielding too much sauce. If you can't find the combo mix of both in one can then I think I would go with the Cream of Chicken. Typically mushrooms are not in Chicken Cordon Bleu but by all means add some if your taste favors them. The rice part of title is unknown to me. I'm guessing submitter meant to add serve over rice of your choice.
Apr 5, 2014
Question Only: Heading states 8 servings, while directions segment says 4 servings. Please advise which is closer to correct.