Chicken Continental for Two
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1/3 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic-herb seasoning blend
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2-1/2 pounds sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons capers, drained
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- Cook rice according to package directions. In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon cornstarch and the seasoning blend; sprinkle over chicken on both sides.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown chicken in oil. Remove and keep warm. Add mushrooms and onions to the pan; cook and stir for 3 minutes. Add the vinegar, garlic and capers; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Return chicken to the pan; carefully add the broth, bay leaf and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°.
- Combine the remaining cornstarch with the water until smooth; stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaf. Serve chicken and mushrooms with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 474 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 265mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 8g fiber), 48g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 4, 2012
To the lady with the amount of mushroom problem..if original recipe was for 4 and this is for 2...cut the mushroom amount in half. Doesn't take a math major for that. I will make this probably use the same same amount as original recipe as I am a mushroom lover and buy them every week.
Aug 3, 2012
This dish sounds wonderful, but the proportion of mushrooms is way out of line. The full recipe for 4 only uses 12 oz. of muchrooms, this one uses 40. Makes me distrust recipes on this site.
Jan 5, 2012
Has a very good taste & chicken was moist. I used canned mushrooms because that was what I had on hand, also didn't drain to make up for the juice I would have gotten from the fresh.